So I wanted to share a bit about the changes that our home has undergone so far..
Back in July I discovered our water heater had sprung a leak, so I called the plumber out and we had to buy a new water heater. Unplanned and unexpected expense, yes, but I worked super hard on a project last year and luckily was recently paid for it, so no huge financial crisis...
I could see no light at the end of the tunnel. Only layers upon layers of previous owners covering up problems instead of properly dealing with them. Christian was upset that I’d discovered this. I mean that’s what I do though… I peel the onions. I dig for the answers and sometimes that means I get myself in a pickle. Now I’m spiraling thinking our home is going to be condemned, that it’s not ever coming back from this. That’s it’s too far gone to be saved. Oh - and I forgot to mention that the company that was working on the kitchen floor quit on me. They got scared - I mean they were terrified of the liability and kept scaring me talking about ‘weight bearing walls’ and sill plates and really set me up for this gloomy way of thinking…
Then I called my brother. He’s younger than me by 7 years but has always had a way of grounding me when there are things I find hard to handle… he calmly said “Sandi… it can’t be that bad. Think about it. They move old houses like yours *all the time* and they don’t fall in. They are able to work on the foundations and support walls and that’s all you need. Someone who’s familiar with that process.” He. Was. Right. And I instantly remembered a friend who had a house very similar to mine that was built in the same year as mine - 1905. I called him bawling. Ya see, he completely renovated his own home, and owned a construction company that had renovated and restored houses even older than mine. He offered to come over and have a look that day. Literally I less than and hour, he and his wife showed up and I went from barely being able to speak through the crying to feeling like I was gonna be ok. He talked about how this was no major thing, and said his company was scheduled out a year and a half (as most construction companies are), but that if we could do the demo and get it ready for his crew, that they had about a week in early October (about 3-4 weeks out from where we were currently) where they could come over and knock out getting the sill plates repaired and stabilized and put in the new flooring systems for the kitchen and bedroom. Talk about an angel… wow. This was some divine work happening. The stars were just lined up perfectly.
With Christian working long hours and his job being peak season, I handled most of the demo myself and he’d help on his days off. It wasn’t easy - matter of fact it was the hardest physical thing I’ve ever done. Where the kitchen floor wasn’t bad, it was super strong and had layers upon layers of the hardest wood slatted floor. Prying 4” nails out and cutting through with a skillsaw was super labor intensive. Then when the dirt below was exposed, it was so dry the red dust just went everywhere with every step taken…..
We did it though! We got everything ready for the builders in time, and they came in and got my little farm house stabilized and sturdy and sound once again. I would come each morning that week and get all the animals situated, walk the dogs, and wait for the guys to show up, then leave for the day and head back when they had gone to peek at the progress….
It was happening. Something that just a month ago I was freaking out about. I swear to you I thought my home was doomed. And here she is getting attention she needed and a new lease on life. A flooring system that will last her another hundred years….
I got to play the part of a contractor in a way also… during the weeks that I had to wait for the builder to have a window to work on my place, I organized the plumber to come out and redo all the plumbing for the house. As I’m doing this, I also knew I wanted to move the water heater from the kitchen to the concrete slab that was enclosed and served as our laundry room. Plumbing lines and electrical lines needed to be buried so a ditch witch was scheduled to dig and I had both the plumber and electrician out same day to do their thing.
Not only has our floor and foundation been renewed, but our plumbing was redone and in a way that it will always be accessible whereas before we couldn’t access the kitchen plumbing due to the super low crawl.
So here we are! Throughout this process, we got a whole new bedroom, a new couch, and soon our kitchen will be revamped. No new appliances or anything fancy like that, but a new floor, backsplash, cabinets, and I’m thinking of painting our fridge something funky… you know me- color to me is like fresh air…
Later today we get a huge shipment of flooring supplies and I’ll get to research and study how to prep the floor and put down the colorful industrial tiles… :) I’m excited for this next phase.
Anyway, I am SO GRATEFUL that we have the financial means to get our little home the much needed attention she deserved. I can’t wait til we are finished! The bedroom is complete and I’m so happy with the way it turned out…